Casement windows are by far the most popular window replacement option. Whether replacing one or many casements, consider their final position and operating direction. With care, casement windows can enhance your home’s beauty while increasing its energy efficiency.
Along with the overall size and shape of the window, you must consider the direction in which the window swings open when installing a casement window. While there is no right or wrong answer technically, there are various considerations to consider when determining which direction a casement window should open, including optimal ventilation angles, noise reduction and ease of operation.
Here are a few simple guidelines to consider when deciding which way your new casement windows will open.
- Consider your dominant hand. Most people can use both hands, but one will dominate. It’s crucial to use your dominant hand for tasks requiring dexterity because it’s usually easier to control. But since you are may not alone in your home, it is best to follow the majority – right-handed people. Have the handle installed on the right.
- Consider the overall look. The hinged side of a casement window should be close to the room’s center. This design ensures that all casements open towards the room’s center. Casement windows are among the most attractive windows. Don’t destroy the natural beauty by scattering them.
- Consider the airflow and air currents in your home. A window opens to allow the breeze to enter your home. Install left-opening casements on the opposite side of your home from right-opening casements to create a cross breeze.
- Consider obstructions. This is critical, even more so if you have landscaping near your windows. You do not want a casement window to open into a shrub or to obstruct something.
- Ease of usage should be considered. For instance, a casement window situated near a corner on the left side would be easier to operate from the right side using a crank.
Curious about French doors and windows? Renewal by Andersen® Midwest can help. We offer high-performance replacement windows, including specialized and double-hung windows. Our qualified team provides excellent products and exceptional customer service to ensure client happiness.
Call us now at (866) 527-0265, or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.